Tour de France organisers demand prize money back from ‘drug-cheat’ Armstrong
London: Tour de France organisers have demanded the return of the prize money won by banned cyclist Lance Armstrong during his seven title wins.
Armstrong has been stripped of all seven of his Tour de France wins, and now the organisers want their money back.
Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme has said the race must not have a victor in the Armstrong years.
“The formal decision has to be taken by the UCI but for us, we must have a clean record. This period must be marked by the absence of winners,” the Daily Mirror quoted Prudhomme, as saying.
" The UCI rules are clear. When a rider is disqualified, he must pay the prize money back,” he added.
The International Olympic Committee will await Friday`s UCI meeting and further information before a decision is made on the bronze medal Armstrong won in Sydney in 2000.
Armstrong, who battled back from cancer to return to professional cycling, has repeatedly denied wrongdoing and refused to co-operate with the USADA investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit