Tour de France organisers demand prize money back from ‘drug-cheat’ Armstrong
London: Tour de France organisers have demanded the return of the prize money won by banned cyclist Lance Armstrong during his seven title wins.
Armstrong has been stripped of all seven of his Tour de France wins, and now the organisers want their money back.
Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme has said the race must not have a victor in the Armstrong years.
“The formal decision has to be taken by the UCI but for us, we must have a clean record. This period must be marked by the absence of winners,” the Daily Mirror quoted Prudhomme, as saying.
" The UCI rules are clear. When a rider is disqualified, he must pay the prize money back,” he added.
The International Olympic Committee will await Friday`s UCI meeting and further information before a decision is made on the bronze medal Armstrong won in Sydney in 2000.
Armstrong, who battled back from cancer to return to professional cycling, has repeatedly denied wrongdoing and refused to co-operate with the USADA investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble