Trinidad officials confirm Baptiste`s doping absence
Moscow: Trinidad and Tobago athletics officials confirmed on Monday that Kelly-Ann Baptiste, who won a world 100 metres bronze medal in 2011, and fellow sprinter Semoy Hackett missed the Moscow world championships because of doping violations.
The two athletes left Moscow before competition started on Saturday and Trinidad`s National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA), who initially declined to give a reason, issued a statement confirming the wide-reported news.
"The absence of both athletes is related to doping matters of varying degrees and complexity," the statement said.
"In the case of Ms. Baptiste this association was notified on August 8 by the IAAF and the results management process is currently under way and, as a result, any further comment at this stage would be premature and inappropriate.
"In the case of Ms. Hackett, the IAAF has appealed the recent decision of the NAAA`s Disciplinary Panel to exonerate Ms. Hackett and has also re-suspended her pending the appeal which is to be heard before the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.
"The NAAA takes this opportunity to reinforce its commitment to drug-free sport and is confident that the legal process regarding both athletes will take its due course."
Baptiste`s 10.83 in June makes her the third-fastest woman in the world this year and she would have been a strong medal prospect in Monday`s 100m final.
She is from the same training group as former world champion Tyson Gay of the United States, who has returned two positive tests for an undisclosed banned substance and also missed the world championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack