Two Indian boxers in Jr World C`ship quarters
New Delhi: Indian boxers Aditya Maan (66kg) and Ashish (63kg) made their way into the quarterfinals of the AIBA Junior World Boxing Championships with contrasting wins in the last-16 stage of the event in Kiev, Ukraine.
But it was disappointment for 2013 Junior Asian Championship bronze-medallist Vishnu Dayanand Chayal (57kg) -- the third Indian to have made a place in the pre-quarters of the championship -- as he ended up on the losing side.
Maan, also a bronze medal winner at the Junior Continental Championships earlier this year, made his place in the pre-quarters beating Hungarian boxer Laszlo Kozak in what was a close contest.
In the round of 16, up against Javier Estrada from the USA, Maan made a strong start, taking the fight to the American. The Indian gained a clear advantage and put Estrada on the back-foot with some cracking straight punches.
He did not allow his opponent to come close and went on to win by virtue of a unanimous decision. In the quarters, he will lock horns with Cassio Olivera Santos from Brazil.
In the light welterweight division, Ashish, playing his very first international tournament, created a flutter in his opening round bout as he got rid of Marcel Rumpler from Austria in the second round winning by virtue of a RSC OC decision (Referee Stopped Contest ? Outclassed).
In the pre-quarter finals, the 15-year-old from Chandigarh once again gave a good account of himself as he notched up a unanimous victory against Jegors Artjomovs of Latvia. In the quarter-finals, he will take on Shabbos Negmatulloev of Tajikistan.
In the featherweight category Vishnu`s World Championship campaign came to an end at the hands of English boxer Dalton Smith.
But the 16-year-old Indian put up strong show against some quality boxing from the Brit, in the end though he lost by just one point.
Earlier in the competition, in what was an upset for the Indian Camp, reigning Asian lightweight Champion Prayag Chauhan (60kg) lost his opening bout to Muzaffar Rashidov from Uzbekistan.
In the light flyweight division Gaurav Solanki also lost in the opening round against Han Younghun of Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price