Two Indian boxers in Jr World C`ship quarters
New Delhi: Indian boxers Aditya Maan (66kg) and Ashish (63kg) made their way into the quarterfinals of the AIBA Junior World Boxing Championships with contrasting wins in the last-16 stage of the event in Kiev, Ukraine.
But it was disappointment for 2013 Junior Asian Championship bronze-medallist Vishnu Dayanand Chayal (57kg) -- the third Indian to have made a place in the pre-quarters of the championship -- as he ended up on the losing side.
Maan, also a bronze medal winner at the Junior Continental Championships earlier this year, made his place in the pre-quarters beating Hungarian boxer Laszlo Kozak in what was a close contest.
In the round of 16, up against Javier Estrada from the USA, Maan made a strong start, taking the fight to the American. The Indian gained a clear advantage and put Estrada on the back-foot with some cracking straight punches.
He did not allow his opponent to come close and went on to win by virtue of a unanimous decision. In the quarters, he will lock horns with Cassio Olivera Santos from Brazil.
In the light welterweight division, Ashish, playing his very first international tournament, created a flutter in his opening round bout as he got rid of Marcel Rumpler from Austria in the second round winning by virtue of a RSC OC decision (Referee Stopped Contest ? Outclassed).
In the pre-quarter finals, the 15-year-old from Chandigarh once again gave a good account of himself as he notched up a unanimous victory against Jegors Artjomovs of Latvia. In the quarter-finals, he will take on Shabbos Negmatulloev of Tajikistan.
In the featherweight category Vishnu`s World Championship campaign came to an end at the hands of English boxer Dalton Smith.
But the 16-year-old Indian put up strong show against some quality boxing from the Brit, in the end though he lost by just one point.
Earlier in the competition, in what was an upset for the Indian Camp, reigning Asian lightweight Champion Prayag Chauhan (60kg) lost his opening bout to Muzaffar Rashidov from Uzbekistan.
In the light flyweight division Gaurav Solanki also lost in the opening round against Han Younghun of Korea.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India