Two Koreas hold talks on Asian Games participation
Seoul: Officials from the two Koreas met for rare talks Thursday to sort out the logistics of Pyongyang sending athletes and cheerleaders to the upcoming Asian Games in the South Korean port city of Incheon.
It was the first meeting between the two sides at the border truce village of Panmunjom for five months and comes at a time of simmering tensions following an unusually extended series of North Korean rocket and missile tests.
The talks also coincide with a joint South Korea-US naval drill off the eastern coast of the Korean peninsula that Pyongyang has condemned as a "reckless" act of provocation.
North Korea has been blowing hot and cold in recent months, mixing its missile tests with peace overtures that Seoul has largely dismissed as insincere.
The North announced in May that it would send about 150 athletes to the Asiad and later that they would be accompanied by a cheering squad.
The Panmunjom meeting is ostensibly aimed at hashing out the practicalities of how the North`s delegation will travel to Incheon and where it will be accommodated.
It will also cover potentially sensitive issues such as the use of flags and cheering slogans, and who will foot the bill for the North Korean team`s expenses.
"For a successful hosting of the Asiad, we will put all our sincere efforts into the talks," the secretary general of the Incheon Games organising committee Kwon Kyung-Sang told reporters before leaving Seoul.
Because the 1950-53 Korean conflict ended with a ceasefire rather than a peace treaty, the two Koreas technically remain at war.
Official contact is minimal and movement across the heavily-militarised border extremely restricted.
Pyongyang boycotted the 1988 Olympics in Seoul but sent athletes and cheerleaders to the 2002 Asian Games in South Korea`s southern port city of Busan.
The last time sporting officials from the two sides met was in 2007 for talks on forming a joint cheerleading squad for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
While the North Korean athletes and officials are likely to fly directly from Pyongyang, the cheerleaders are expected to travel in a ship that will remain offshore and serve as a temporary hotel.
Pyongyang has previously sent cheerleading squads -- made up almost entirely of young women who perform synchronised dance moves -- to three sporting events in the South including the 2002 Asian Games.
They were a huge draw on each occasion, and the squad that came for the 2005 Asian Athletics Championships in Incheon included Ri Sol-Ju, who is now the wife of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India