Two lifters fail dope tests in continental club meet
New Delhi: The dope menace returned to haunt
India with two weightlifters being tested positive for banned
substance in the Continental Clubs Grand Prix at Penang in
Malaysia in December last year.
Sukhen Dey and and Anupdeo Toppo, who had won gold and
silver in the 56kg and 77kg categories respectively in the
December 11-16 event, were tested poistive for stimulant
Indian Weightlifting Federation Secretary General Sahdev
Yadav told PTI that the A samples of the two lifters were
tested positive but the international parent body has not
informed it of the B sample results.
"We have not got the results of the B sample tests," said
Sahdev who had just returned from Tashkent after the Asian
Weightlifting Federation Congress.
The Continental Clubs Grand Prix was introduced last year
by the International Weightlifting Federation to promote the
sport to a wider audience.
Dey, who had become the first Indian junior lifter to win
a medal in a World Championships by bagging a bronze in 56kg
in Romania, represented Services in Penang while Anupdeo took
part for Universal Club, according to international federation
Sahdev said the IWF had not given sanction to Services to
take part in the event and the dope results would not count
against the name of the national federation.
He also said if at all the two violations are to be
counted against the IWF, they will be deemed to have been
committed last year and not this year and there was no chance
of India being banned by the international federation if
another lifter tests positive in 2011.
Officials who are familiar with the rules, however, said
that the dope results will be counted against the IWF since
the two lifters are registered with the national federation
and they were taking part in an International Weightlifting
Federation sanctioned event.
They also said that the dope result would be counted as
violation for last year and not for this year, and so there is
no danger of Indian being banned if a third lifter tests
positive this year.
Meanwhile, IWF president Birendra Prasad Baishya has been
made a board member of the Asian Weightlifting Fedetaion in
the AWF Congress which concluded in Tashkent on Wednesday.
Mohamed Yousef Al Mana of Qatar has been elected AWF
president and Ali Moradi of Iran as General Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25