Two Pakistan teams to play in Lal Bahadur Shastri hockey
New Delhi: Two teams from Pakistan and one each from Oman and Malaysia will feature alongside the top domestic outfits in the 23rd Lal Bahadur Shastri men`s hockey tournament to be held here from November 27 to December 4.
The organisers informed that Waseem Hockey Club of Vehari in the Punjab province and a Lahore-based team will represent Pakistan in the annual event, subject to clearance from the Home Ministry.
Apart from the two Pakistani sides, Al Seeb Sports Club of Oman and the Under-21 national team of Malaysia have confirmed their participation in the tournament, which started in the year 1991.
Air India, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, BPCL etc are some of the top domestic sides which will play in the tournament to be held at the renovated Shivaji Stadium.
"This year we have two Pakistani teams. We have already got Sports Ministry`s permission and we are now just waiting for clearance from the Home Ministry," secretary of the Lal Bahadur Shastri Hockey Tournament Committee, K D Parashar told PTI.
The Waseem Hockey Club is being owned by former Pakistan captain and one of the best left halfs in the world, Waseem Ahmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress