Two Russian athletes disqualified for doping at Paralympics
Moscow: Two Russian powerlifters have been disqualified from the London Paralympics for doping, the country`s Paralympic Committee said.
Vadim Rakitin and Nikolai Marfin took a drug named neotropin which has been prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency, and were thus kicked out from the London games, the committee said in a statement Saturday.
The two athletes "confessed to what can be called an inappropriate act" which shamed the good name of Russian Paralympians, the committee said.
The players obtained the drug by their own willingness through the Internet, without telling coaches, physicians or the head of their athletic federation, said the statement.
According to the statement, Rakitin and Marfin took the drug as a painkiller, not as stimulus to improve their performance.
After practicing powerlifting for over 12 years, the two athletes suffered from arm ligament problems and sought medical treatment by themselves.
The Russian Paralympic Committee apologized for the incident, and vowed to take measures to avoid similar "deplorable situations" in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list