Two Russian athletes disqualified for doping at Paralympics
Moscow: Two Russian powerlifters have been disqualified from the London Paralympics for doping, the country`s Paralympic Committee said.
Vadim Rakitin and Nikolai Marfin took a drug named neotropin which has been prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency, and were thus kicked out from the London games, the committee said in a statement Saturday.
The two athletes "confessed to what can be called an inappropriate act" which shamed the good name of Russian Paralympians, the committee said.
The players obtained the drug by their own willingness through the Internet, without telling coaches, physicians or the head of their athletic federation, said the statement.
According to the statement, Rakitin and Marfin took the drug as a painkiller, not as stimulus to improve their performance.
After practicing powerlifting for over 12 years, the two athletes suffered from arm ligament problems and sought medical treatment by themselves.
The Russian Paralympic Committee apologized for the incident, and vowed to take measures to avoid similar "deplorable situations" in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof