Two-year doping ban for Russian pole vaulter
Moscow: The Russian Athletics Federation has banned pole vaulter Ivan Gertlein for two years after he tested positive for steroids.
Gertlein, who won team bronze at the Russian championships in Sochi last year, failed a drug test October 15, 2012 and was suspended from competition a few weeks later by the country`s anti-doping agency.
Federation officials said Gertlein had elevated levels of the testosterone booster DHEA. The 25-year-old`s ineligibility is back dated to October 31, 2012, and ends October 30, 2014.
Gertlein has a personal best of 5.55 meters, and is ranked by the athletics federation as Russia`s ninth-best vaulter. He was placed 11th in the individual national championship last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez