Tyson to attend Pakistan Boxing tourney in Islamabad
Karachi: Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson and another top professional pugilist Amir Khan will be in Islamabad to witness the second Benazir Shaheed international Boxing Tournament starting December 20.
Pakistan Boxing Federation secretary Akram Khan said Amir, who has already agreed to inaugurate the tournament, had talked to Tyson on behalf of the federation.
"Amir has officially given an invitation to Tyson to visit Islamabad for the tournament and he has agreed but asked for dates," Khan said.
Amir lost his WBC and IBF light heavyweight title to American Lamont Petersen in Washington on Sunday. But Khan said Amir remains a hero in Pakistan and his presence would be a big boost for the international tournament.
"We already have confirmations from some 20 countries including India to take part in the event which will be held under tight security once again," he said.
The first Benazir International Tournament was held in Karachi in 2010 behind closed doors with public not allowed inside the hall but the organisers had set up giant screens around the hall for spectators.
Khan said hopefully Tyson would also visit Islamabad for the opening ceremony and that would allow Pakistan to present a soft image of itself in the international sporting fraternity.
Tyson, a former world heavyweight champion, had a controversial career but is regarded as a legend in boxing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24