Ukraine to bid for 2022 Winter Olympics
Kiev: Ukraine will make a bid to stage the Olympic Winter Games of 2022 in western Lvov region, Deputy Prime Minister Olexandr Vilkul announced here.
"We believe that our application will be one of the strongest. Ukraine showed that it can carry out large-scale sporting events, and Lvov is a major tourist centre and a city with a long history," Vilkul told a news briefing Tuesday.
Ukraine knows its potential contenders and is ready to compete with them for the right to host the games, Vilkul said.
The Chinese capital Beijing jointly with northern city Zhangjiakou as well as Kazakhstan`s Almaty have officially announced plans to bid for 2022 Winter Olympics.
The International Olympic Committee is also expecting bids from Poland, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Spain.
Ukraine has participated in hosting the Games during the 1980 Summer Olympics in former Soviet Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery