Ukraine to bid for 2022 Winter Olympics
Kiev: Ukraine will make a bid to stage the Olympic Winter Games of 2022 in western Lvov region, Deputy Prime Minister Olexandr Vilkul announced here.
"We believe that our application will be one of the strongest. Ukraine showed that it can carry out large-scale sporting events, and Lvov is a major tourist centre and a city with a long history," Vilkul told a news briefing Tuesday.
Ukraine knows its potential contenders and is ready to compete with them for the right to host the games, Vilkul said.
The Chinese capital Beijing jointly with northern city Zhangjiakou as well as Kazakhstan`s Almaty have officially announced plans to bid for 2022 Winter Olympics.
The International Olympic Committee is also expecting bids from Poland, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Spain.
Ukraine has participated in hosting the Games during the 1980 Summer Olympics in former Soviet Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth