Unbeaten Porter defends title against Malignaggi
Washington: Undefeated Shawn Porter puts his International Boxing Federation world welterweight title on the line against former world champion Paulie Malignaggi in an all-American showdown Saturday.
It is on the undercard in Washington of the unification bout between light heavyweight champions Bernard Hopkins and Beibut Shumenov, as is unbeaten Peter Quillin`s World Boxing Organization title defense against Czech Lukas Konecny.
Malignaggi, 33, fighting outside his hometown of Brooklyn for the first time in two years, is confident of reclaiming a world crown and dumping Porter, 26, from the ranks of the unbeaten.
"We`re both very hungry," Malignaggi said. "I feel I`m the more talented fighter. I feel I`m the more intelligent fighter. I feel I`ve got more in my back pocket."
Malignaggi, 33-5 with seven knockouts, owned the IBF light welterweight crown in 2007 and 2008, twice beating Australian Lovemore Ndou for the title, and held the World Boxing Association version of the welterweight crown for a year until losing it last June to countryman Adrien Broner.
The "Magic Man" comes into his challenging role off a unanimous 12-round decision over Zab Judah in December.
"A chance to win a third world championship, to take a belt from a guy like that, it becomes a game not only of skill but of will," Malignaggi said. "I will be a three-time world champion."
Porter, 23-0 with one draw and 14 knockouts, won his first world title fight in December, taking a unanimous 12-round decision from compatriot Devon Alexander for the IBF title on the same card where Malignaggi beat Judah.
"We`re going to defend it with everything we have," Porter said. "We`re going to defend it with honor, with will and with skill. We have worked hard for this. We understand the position we are in and we`re excited."
Porter suffered the only blemish on his record in a 10-round draw in 2012 with Julio Diaz but in a rematch Porter took a unanimous decision last September, setting up his title bout with Alexander.
Quillan, 30-0 with 22 knockouts, makes his third title defense against Konecny, 50-4 with 23 knockouts.
"It`s a test of maturity," the 30-year-old American said. "I want a comprehensive win."
Konecny, 35, suffered his only losses in the past eight years in his only two prior world title bouts, both for the WBO light middleweight crowns.
He lost to Ukraine southpaw Serhiy Dzinziruk in Germany by majority decision in 2008 and then won 12 fights in a row before falling to Russia`s Zaurbek Baysangurov in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues