Under-fire Jwala Gutta moves High Court against BAI

Last Updated: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 15:43

Zee Media Bureau

New Delhi: Ace Indian shuttler Jwala Gutta has moved Delhi High Court against Badminton Association of India(BAI) for threatening to ban her for life over a row during the Indian Badminton League (IBL).

The Badminton Association of India (BAI) had ruled out considering Jwala for selection in any international events in the next one month, pending a decision by the three-member committee that was formed on Monday by president Akhilesh Das Gupta. It means the Commonwealth Games gold medallist won't be able to play in Denmark and French Open.

"We decided to go ahead with legal action in the case and accordingly filed a petition in the Delhi High Court today," Jwala's father Kranti Gutta told PTI.

The Sports Minister Jitendra Singh also said today that he can look into Jwala's dispute with the BAI if she approaches him.

Jwala`s coach Syed Mohammad Arif had advised her to file a defamation suit against BAI for going to press without issuing her a ban notice. Arif said BFI had repeatedly insulted the player who brought laurels to the country by winning bronze medal at World Championship and gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.

In a surprise decision, last week the Badminton Association of India`s disciplinary committee had recommended a life ban on top Indian doubles shuttler Jwala Gutta for trying to stop some players of her franchise Krrish Delhi Smashers from playing a match against Banga Beats in the IBL.

BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta had said that if Jwala tenders an unconditional apology, her case may be reconsidered.

With PTI inputs



First Published: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 17:21

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus