Unhappy over removal of wrestling from Olympics: Jitendra Singh
New Delhi: Unhappy over removal of wrestling from Olympics, the Sports Ministry has asked the External Affairs Ministry to take up the issue with participating countries through its missions to bring it back to the games.
Minister of State for Sports and Youth Affairs Jitendra Singh informed the Lok Sabha today that efforts were on to bring back wrestling as a sport in the Olympics and the possibility of taking this up with other participating countries was being explored.
The sport was removed recently from the list of events allowed in the Olympics.
Singh said during Question Hour that he has asked the Indian Olympic Association to take up the issue of inclusion of wrestling as a sport in the Olympics.
Sharing details of other efforts made by the Sports Ministry in this regard, Singh said, "We have also requested the Ministry of External Affairs that it should take up this issue with the 70 participating countries through its embassies abroad."
He informed the House that the government understands the emotions attached to wrestling as a sport in the country.
"Wrestling was part of the first Olympics held in 1895," Singh said, adding that it has always been an important event at these games.
Singh maintained that wrestling continues to be encouraged in the country and government is making efforts to promote it.
"The Lucknow Wrestling Centre is being upgraded and new centres will come up in various districts of Uttar Pradesh like Etawah, Rae Bareli and Bundelkhand region," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you