Usain Bolt fears slow start could damage world bid
London: Usain Bolt admitted he will have little chance of winning another world championship title unless he sorts out his lethargic start after storming to victory at the London Diamond League on Friday.
The Jamaican star also insisted "there was still room for improvement" despite returning to somewhere near his explosive best when winning the 100m at the Olympic Stadium.
The fastest man on the planet, and athletics` greatest entertainer, gave his rivals a decent start before he produced a show-stopping performance as he dashed to victory in 9.85sec, a season`s best.
It is not the first time that the Olympic champion and world record holder has been tardy out of the traps and not the first time he has managed to show the speed and power to burst through the field and take the tape in front.
Bolt returned to the scene of his heroics in London 2012 and the 60,000 Olympic Stadium crowd roared him on as he beat off America`s Michael Rodgers (9.98) and compatriot Nesta Carter (9.99).
Afterwards he did a lap of honour in front of a frenzied crowd, knelt down to kiss the track in his tradition style and then threw his spikes to a lucky punter before shooting off into the night.
But Bolt admits he needs to put things right quickly before taking his place in the world championships in Moscow next month.
"If I start like that in the world championships I will probably finish fifth. I need to work with my coach and figure out how to be more explosive out of the blocks and not so slow," said Bolt.
"I`m not back in the Test side yet but I`m pleased to be a step closer to it and I`ve always dealt with situations like this by concentrating on the game in hand and refusing to look too far ahead."
Pietersen, in an indication of the treatment work he has undertaken in a bid to regain full fitness, told his Twitter followers: "Might try getting in the car this am and when turning on the ignition, say the words, "gym for rehab.." Surely it will drive me there.."
Pietersen`s 2013 has been beset by injuries, with a knee problem forcing him home early from the tour of New Zealand in March and then ruling him out of the return series against the Kiwis and the subsequent Champions Trophy tournament.
He made 64 in the second innings of the first Test but suffered two failures at Lord`s.
As well as Taylor, England`s selectors will be keeping a close eye on Sussex left-armer Monty Panesar as they consider whether to play a second spinner alongside Graeme Swann on an Old Trafford pitch which, while it last staged a Test in 2009, remains renowned for taking turn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi