Usain Bolt no more the Fastest Man in the World!
Kingston: The Fastest Man in the World wasn`t the fastest man in Jamaica on Friday night.
That honor goes to Yohan Blake, who got out of the blocks fast and finished the 100-meter final in 9.75 seconds to upset world-record holder Usain Bolt by 0.11 seconds in the Jamaican Olympic trials.
A shocker? Well, that`s for the world to decide. One thing for sure, however, is that the calculus for the London Olympics has changed dramatically.
Blake is the reigning world champion but that victory, last year in South Korea, came with an asterisk because Bolt didn`t run that night after being disqualified for a false start. This was their first rematch, their first real race since then. Bolt was considered the favorite, not only because of his world record — 9.58 seconds — but because Blake, his training partner had never run below 9.82 in his life.
Well, now, he has.
The 9.75 seconds goes down as the best time this year and also breaks the four-year-old National Stadium record; both marks were 9.76 — both held by Bolt.
As much as the numbers, though, it was all that daylight between Blake and Bolt at the finish line that told this story. Blake, the man known as "The Beast," let out a primal scream when he crossed. Bolt just sort of pulled up — no "To the World" pose or anything else to celebrate.
Asafa Powell will join them at the Olympics, after finishing in 9.88.
In the women`s 100, defending Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won in a Jamaican record 10.70 seconds, with Veronica Campbell-Brown in second and Kerron Stewart in third.
Campbell-Brown provided the surprise at last year`s trials when she finished fourth in the final and didn`t make the 100-meter field.
She ended up winning the 200 at trials and the Olympics and is very much in line for a double this time, as well.
So are Blake and Bolt.
It was widely believed Blake might provide a better challenge to Bolt in the 200 because he holds the world`s second-fastest time at 19.26. Bolt`s record is 19.19. They`ll run in heats Saturday with the final scheduled for Sunday.
But in track`s most glamorous event, the 100, it`s Blake who heads to London with the win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre