Usain Bolt`s Jamaican teammate facing ban after failed dope test
London: In a major drug scandal, a female teammate of Jamaican sprinting star Usain Bolt is reportedly facing a ban from the sport after a failed dope test.
According to the Independent, world 200 metre (m) champion Veronica Campbell-Brown has tested positive for a banned diuretic, while only two days earlier 400m runner Dominique Blake lost her appeal against a six-year ban for a second doping offence.
The report further said that the development came in the wake of Bolt`s impressive return to form in the Oslo Diamond League, where he recorded the fastest 200m time in the world this year.
Campbell-Brown, one of Jamaica`s biggest sporting heroines and bracketed with Bolt and Asafa Powell in superstar status, had tested positive for the diuretic, which can act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing substances, from a sample given at the Jamaica Invitational meet on May 4 this year.
According to the report, Campbell-Brown is the second woman to have won consecutive 200m Olympic gold medals and was a silver medallist at London 2012.
Meanwhile, Dominique Blake, who tested positive last year for methylhexaneamine, a stimulant that is commonly used as a nasal decongestant, was banned in competition during Jamaica`s Olympic trials last June, when she finished sixth in the 400m.
After the five Jamaican athletes, including Bolt`s teammate Yohan Blake, were banned in 2009 after failed dope tests, Jamaican head coach David Riley claimed that the nation was being unfairly targeted because of the outstanding performances of Bolt and others.
Calling the continuous drug testing of their athletes as `unfortunate`, Riley further said that although the country is not afraid of drug testing, it should be done randomly instead of targeting a particular nation or certain individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- South Africa`s Zuma to hear if 800 graft charges reinstated
- Summer special - Shahnaz Husain's tips for maintaining glowing skin
- This online wedding community helps you plan your marriage
- Women find 'dominant' men more attractive – Here’s why
- TIRUN announces maiden voyage of world's largest cruise ship