Usain Bolt withdraws from Monaco meet
London: Usain Bolt withdrew from his final race before the Olympics on Thursday with what his coach called a “slight” injury problem following the Jamaican trials.
Bolt was scheduled to run the 200 meters at the Monaco Diamond League meet on July 20 but pulled out to have treatment ahead of the London Games.
Despite the withdrawal, Bolt said Thursday he would be in London to defend his titles.
The Olympic champion and world record-holder in the 100 and 200 meters had his right hamstring stretched out on the track after finishing second to Yohan Blake in the 200 at the Jamaican Olympic trials over the weekend. He also was beaten by Blake in the 100 meters in Kingston.
Bolt’s coach, Glen Mills, said in a statement the withdrawal was because of “a slight problem” Bolt had at the trials. He didn’t elaborate.
“After careful assessment I have had to withdraw him (Bolt) from the Samsung Diamond League Meeting in Monaco on July 20 to give him sufficient time for treatment and time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games in London,” Mills said.
Bolt’s surprising losses to Blake suggested the superstar sprinter may not be in the dominant form he was at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 when he powered to gold medals in the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay, all in world-record times.
“I am happy to have earned my spot on the Jamaican Olympic team despite the challenge,” Bolt said in the same statement. “I will be in London to defend my titles in the 100, 200 and 4x100 meters. I want to congratulate my fellow Racers Track Club Members along with the other athletes who made the team. I thank everyone for their support.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now