Used to getting awards late: Sushil Kumar
New Delhi: Disappointed at not getting the Padma Bhushan, third highest civilian honour in the country, wrestler Sushil Kumar on Sunday said that by now he has got used to being considered for awards late.
The double Olympic medallist said it was nothing new for him since he was even considered late for the Padma Shri.
"This is nothing new for me. I am used to it. Even the Padma Shri came late. So nowadays I don`t even think about them. My focus is on performance, awards will come and go," said Sushil, the only Indian to win two individual Olympic medals.
Sushil, who won bronze in Beijing (2008) and silver in London (2012), said he is now eyeing a return to competitive wrestling with the Asian Championship to be held here at the K.D. Jadhav Stadium from April 18 to 22.
The Baprola wrestler had stayed away from wrestling since the London Games and also missed the Dave Schultz Cup in Colorado Springs with a shoulder injury.
"I suffered an injury to my shoulder and to my right hand which kept me out of action. But now I have completely recovered from it and doing my regular practice," Sushil said at a sports meet organised by Max Healthcare for cancer survivors.
Sushil said he was excited to fight in front of home crowds at the Asian Championship.
"My preparations are directed towards the Asian Championships which will be held in front of our home crowd. I hope to take part in the competition," he said.
Recalling the days when his father was battling cancer, Sushil said: "It was my father`s motivation in fighting the disease that helped me give my best at the London Olympics last year. The name of the disease is frightening. It was difficult for me to concentrate on competitions. I was mentally very down. But my father was always positive. He told me to focus on my wrestling which I did."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks