Used to getting awards late: Sushil Kumar
New Delhi: Disappointed at not getting the Padma Bhushan, third highest civilian honour in the country, wrestler Sushil Kumar on Sunday said that by now he has got used to being considered for awards late.
The double Olympic medallist said it was nothing new for him since he was even considered late for the Padma Shri.
"This is nothing new for me. I am used to it. Even the Padma Shri came late. So nowadays I don`t even think about them. My focus is on performance, awards will come and go," said Sushil, the only Indian to win two individual Olympic medals.
Sushil, who won bronze in Beijing (2008) and silver in London (2012), said he is now eyeing a return to competitive wrestling with the Asian Championship to be held here at the K.D. Jadhav Stadium from April 18 to 22.
The Baprola wrestler had stayed away from wrestling since the London Games and also missed the Dave Schultz Cup in Colorado Springs with a shoulder injury.
"I suffered an injury to my shoulder and to my right hand which kept me out of action. But now I have completely recovered from it and doing my regular practice," Sushil said at a sports meet organised by Max Healthcare for cancer survivors.
Sushil said he was excited to fight in front of home crowds at the Asian Championship.
"My preparations are directed towards the Asian Championships which will be held in front of our home crowd. I hope to take part in the competition," he said.
Recalling the days when his father was battling cancer, Sushil said: "It was my father`s motivation in fighting the disease that helped me give my best at the London Olympics last year. The name of the disease is frightening. It was difficult for me to concentrate on competitions. I was mentally very down. But my father was always positive. He told me to focus on my wrestling which I did."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic