Usha unhappy with AFI for blocking Luka`s participation
Pune: Legendary athlete P T Usha on Thursday criticised the Athletics Federation of India for blocking her protégé Tintu Luka`s participation in Asian Grand Prix series in May, saying it has robbed the youngster of international exposure.
Usha said Luka -- who competes in 800m -- was invited by the Asian Athletics Association but the AFI refused to clear her ward on the ground that she had not participated in an earlier national meet.
"The AAA had invited Luka for the Asian Grand Prix but the AFI said she cannot participate as she had not taken part in the Federation Cup (in Patiala in April). That is not good on the part of AFI," Usha, who is here for the Asian Athletics Championships, said.
"Luka was invited on the basis of her London Olympics results (where she finished 12th) and nothing to do with the Federation Cup," said Usha who is fondly called `Payyoli Express`.
Usha is determined that Luka should take part in next month`s World Championships in Moscow and do well there. Each of the winner in the ongoing Asian Championships will book an automatic berth in the World Championships.
"I am sure Luka will win gold here. But whether she win gold here or not, I want at least a good competition in Europe before going to Moscow.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?