Uttrakhand govt announces 75 lacs for Olympic gold medallist
Dehradun: With an aim to encourage sports persons, the Uttrakhand government today announced a slew of cash awards, including a whopping Rs 75 lakh to the Olympic gold medal winners from the state in future.
The silver and bronze medallist will get rupees 50 lakh and 25 lakh respectively.
Speaking on the occasion of National Sports Day, the birth anniversay of India’s legendary hockey player Major Dhyanchand, chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank said his government will not only encourage the national and international players but also talented ones from rural areas.
He also announced that the gold medal winners in Commonwealth Games and other international competitions will get rupees 10 lakh from his government.
The silver and bronze medallist will get five lakh and three lakh respectively.
Remembering Dhyanchand, Nishank said, “He gave India a new identity with his magical play. He single handedly won many gold medals for India in international competitions.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS