Paris: Belgian rider Jurgen Van den Broeck's chance to participate in next year's Tour de France cycle race could be in danger after his withdrawal from the Vuelta a Espana compounding his disappointing performance in this year's Tour.
The Lotto-Belisol rider finished fourth in the Tour in 2010 and 2012, but could only manage 13th place this year, reports Xinhua.
"We knew that 2014 would be a transition year after his very serious crash in the Tour last year," said team manager Marc Sergeant in an interview with Belgium website Sporza.be Monday.
"After such a bad crash many riders have found it physically and mentally difficult to return."
Van den Broeck, 31, who crashed in the fifth stage of the 2013 Tour and severely damaged his right knee and did not return to training until October.
"At the start of the Vuelta, Jurgen still made a good impression on me, but that was soon over. When he gave up, there was nothing in his legs," added Sergeant, saying that it is now time to re-consider what races he will ride in the coming year.
"I hope it will be better in 2015," he said. "Must it absolutely be the Tour? I don't know. The Giro and the Vuelta are also options. But first he must be ready for them."