Venezuela`s top athletes pray for Chavez
Caracas: Venezuela`s top athletes gathered at a church to pray for their ailing president, Hugo Chavez, one of their most steadfast supporters.
"Chavez is our main athlete," weightlifter Hildegar Morillo, president of the National Commission of Athletes, was quoted as saying by Xihua Sunday.
Morillo said he hoped "with all my heart, that he is soon with us, so he can continue to accompany us in the revolution of Venezuelan sports."
Chavez, who is hospitalised in Havana, Cuba, after undergoing cancer surgery and is in stable but delicate condition after suffering from a lung infection, has made promoting sports a priority of his socialist government.
Numerous athletes dressed in track suits with the red, blue and yellow colours of the Venezuelan flag packed the Divina Pastora Church in the capital Caracas to mark the National Sports Day, celebrated Jan 6.
Many expressed similar sentiments of support for Chavez, AVN reported, including retired footballer Luis Alfredo "Mendocita" Mendoza, Paralympic athlete Pablo Castillo and Formula One driver Pastor Maldonado.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics