Venezuela`s top athletes pray for Chavez
Caracas: Venezuela`s top athletes gathered at a church to pray for their ailing president, Hugo Chavez, one of their most steadfast supporters.
"Chavez is our main athlete," weightlifter Hildegar Morillo, president of the National Commission of Athletes, was quoted as saying by Xihua Sunday.
Morillo said he hoped "with all my heart, that he is soon with us, so he can continue to accompany us in the revolution of Venezuelan sports."
Chavez, who is hospitalised in Havana, Cuba, after undergoing cancer surgery and is in stable but delicate condition after suffering from a lung infection, has made promoting sports a priority of his socialist government.
Numerous athletes dressed in track suits with the red, blue and yellow colours of the Venezuelan flag packed the Divina Pastora Church in the capital Caracas to mark the National Sports Day, celebrated Jan 6.
Many expressed similar sentiments of support for Chavez, AVN reported, including retired footballer Luis Alfredo "Mendocita" Mendoza, Paralympic athlete Pablo Castillo and Formula One driver Pastor Maldonado.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you