Venezuela`s top athletes pray for Chavez
Caracas: Venezuela`s top athletes gathered at a church to pray for their ailing president, Hugo Chavez, one of their most steadfast supporters.
"Chavez is our main athlete," weightlifter Hildegar Morillo, president of the National Commission of Athletes, was quoted as saying by Xihua Sunday.
Morillo said he hoped "with all my heart, that he is soon with us, so he can continue to accompany us in the revolution of Venezuelan sports."
Chavez, who is hospitalised in Havana, Cuba, after undergoing cancer surgery and is in stable but delicate condition after suffering from a lung infection, has made promoting sports a priority of his socialist government.
Numerous athletes dressed in track suits with the red, blue and yellow colours of the Venezuelan flag packed the Divina Pastora Church in the capital Caracas to mark the National Sports Day, celebrated Jan 6.
Many expressed similar sentiments of support for Chavez, AVN reported, including retired footballer Luis Alfredo "Mendocita" Mendoza, Paralympic athlete Pablo Castillo and Formula One driver Pastor Maldonado.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane