Venkatesh finishes fifth; Mary Ann best among woman
Varna (Bulgaria): Grandmaster M R Venkatesh delivered when it mattered the most and defeated Romanian Mircea-Emilian Parligras in the ninth and final round of Grand Europe Golden Sands International Chess tournament here.
Venkatesh finished with an impressive tally of seven points out of a possible nine and finished joint second. However as the four-way tie was resolved the Indian ended on fifth spot.
Grandmaster Nils Grandelius of Sweden won the 40000 Euros prize money tournament defeating Indian GM S Arun Prasad in the final round.
The Swede ended on 7.5 points in all, a half point clear of Zybnyk Hracek of Czech Republic, Vladislav Nevednichy of Romania, Vladimir Georgiev of Macedonia and Venkatesh.
India`s national women`s champion Mary Ann Gomes continued her fine display in the tournament and drew with Grandmaster Vasil Spasov to end of 6.5 points and emerge as the best woman player of the competition.
Also ending on 6.5 points was International Master Ashwin Jayaram who came very close to attaining the Grandmaster title following a draw with Viditt Gujrathi in the last round.
Ashwin stands to gain around 26 points from the two tournaments here and in all likely hood the next Varna tournament should see him emerge as the next Grandmaster of the country.
For the records, Gujrathi finished eighth, Ashwin Jayaram ninth and Arun Prasad 10th on the merit list.
Highest rated Indian, Abhijeet Gupta also was not far behind on 6.5 points ending 12th overall. Rusev Krasimir played a solid game against Gupta to hold out an easy draw with white in the final round.
Another Indian GM, Deep Sengupta also scored 6.5 points and finished 17th.
Arun Prasad had the best chances among Indians but his aspirations suffered a setback against Grandelius in a Frecnh defense game. The Indian had troubles in the Winawer variation wherein Grandelius was able to launch an attack on the king after opening desired files.
Arun Prasad resigned when he could not avert material loss.
Important and Indian results of final round (Indians unless stated): Vladimir Georgiev (BUL, 7) drew with Zybnyk Hracek (CZE, 7); Nils Grandelius (SWE, 7.5) beat S Arun Prasad (6.5); Rusev Krasimir (BUL, 6.5) drew with Abhijeet Gupta (6.5); Dragan Solak (TUR, 6.5) drew with Deep Sengupta (6.5); M R Venkatesh (7) beat Mircea-Emilian Parligras (ROM, 6); Mary Ann Gomes (6.5) drew with Vasil Spasov (BUL, 6.5); Vidit Gujrathi (6.5) drew with Ashwin Jayaram (6.5); Yuri Solodovnichenko (UKR, 6) drew with M Karthikeyan (6); G N Gopal (6) drew with Asaf Givon (ISR, 6); N Srinath (6) drew with M Shyam Sundar (6); Debashis Das (6) beat Shardul Gagare (5); Sahaj Grover (6) beat Dagur Arngrimsson (ICL, 5); Swapnil Dhopade (5) lost to Ali Marandi Cemil Can (TUR, 6); Valentin Panbukchian (BUL, 4.5) lost to Diptayan Ghosh (5.5); Bosko Abramovic (SRB, 4.5) lost to Sayantan Das (5.5); Anurag Mhamal (5.5) beat Alexey Volodin (RUS, 4.5); Soumya Swaminathan (5) drew with Eesha Karavade (5); G A Stany (5.5) beat Margarita Voiska (BUL, 4.5); G Akash (4.5) lost to Elitsa Raeva (BUL, 5.5); Tiberiu-Marian Georgescu (ROU, 5.5) beat Sidhant Mohapatra (4.5); Bhakti Kulkarni (4.5) lost to Sagar Shah (5.5); Aravindh Chithambaram (5) beat Rucha Pujari (4); Kiran Manisha Mohanty (4.5) drew with Cosmin Parligras (ROU, 4.5); Hristo Ivelinov (BUL, 4.5) drew with Nisha Mohota (4.5); Viktor Forsberg (SWE, 4.5) drew with N Raghavi (4.5); R Vaishali (3.5) lost to Irina Ionescu (ROU, 4.5); Riya Savant (3.5) lost to Gireman Ja (4.5); Srija Seshadri (4.5) beat Ralf Danielmeier (GER, 3.5); Parnali Dharia (4) beat Alexander Kiselev (RUS, 3); G K Monnisha (4) beat Valentin Kamenov (BUL, 3); Ioana Gelip (ROU, 4) beat Y Saranya (3); Uldis Melderis (LAT, 3.5) beat R Bharathi (2.5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!