Veteran athlete disappointed in not getting recognition
Coimbatore: Former international athlete R Natarajan on Thursday lamented that he had not been given `proper` recognition despite his achievements for nine years in a row from 1987 in sprint events while his juniors with lesser laurels had received Arjuna award.
"My juniors with lesser achievements have received Arjuna awards. I am disappointed, despite my calibre and being national champion in 100 and 200 metres for nine years (no proper recognition has been given)," he told reporters here.
The former SAF Games gold medallist, however, said he did not want awards anymore.
"General public have recognised me and my service to the sports," Natarajan said on the sidelines of an International Conference on Sports and Nutrition, organised at Avinashilingam University for Women, here.
Natarajan, who ran along with multiple Olympic gold medal winner Carl Lewis, appreciated the move by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to allocate Rs two crore to create sportspersons to win Olympic medals.
The former ace sprinter, who is now Director of Chennai-based Indian Sports Promotion Academy, said his academy would submit a list of talented sportspersons, below 18 years, to the Tamil Nadu Sports Development Authority, for final selection of candidates to be trained.
He said governments should provide support in education and buying training equipment besides jobs for budding talents which otherwise could not be nurtured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened