Veteran sports journalist Pulin Das dies at 96
Guwahati: Veteran Assam sports journalist Pulin Das passed away on Wednesday at the age of 96 at a private hospital after prolonged illness, family sources said.
Born on November 1, 1918, Das was probably the first recognised sports journalist from the state. He was also a well-known sportsman, sports event organiser and football referee.
In a statement, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi expressed his grief and condolence to the family.
"Das` demise is a big loss to the field of sports in Assam. His work and life will continue to inspire the new generation," he added.
Gogoi said Das has contributed immensely throughout his life to enhance the sports field in the state.
Many distinguished personalities and a number of sports organisation in the state have expressed their condolence on Das` demise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire