Veteran sports journalist Pulin Das dies at 96
Guwahati: Veteran Assam sports journalist Pulin Das passed away on Wednesday at the age of 96 at a private hospital after prolonged illness, family sources said.
Born on November 1, 1918, Das was probably the first recognised sports journalist from the state. He was also a well-known sportsman, sports event organiser and football referee.
In a statement, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi expressed his grief and condolence to the family.
"Das` demise is a big loss to the field of sports in Assam. His work and life will continue to inspire the new generation," he added.
Gogoi said Das has contributed immensely throughout his life to enhance the sports field in the state.
Many distinguished personalities and a number of sports organisation in the state have expressed their condolence on Das` demise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH