Vijay Kumar finishes 8th in World Cup shooting
New Delhi: Olympic silver medallist Vijay Kumar finished eighth in the men`s 25-metre rapid fire pistol event at the shooting World Cup final in Bangkok on Friday.
Vijay started off well with series of 97, 99 and 97 to register a score of 292 in the first stage and was well in contention for a place in the finals.
In the second stage of the qualification round, Vijay once again registered very good scores of 97, 99 to look in great form but in the last series he dropped seven points and could only manage to shoot 93, which cost him a slot in the finals by two points.
Vijay`s final score today was 582, three points less than his London Olympic qualification score. This is the first international competition after Olympics for the 26-year-old shooter from the Indian Army.
The gold was won by Czech Martin Strand while the silver was won by Christian Reitz of Germany. China`s Jian Zhang got the bronze. London Olympic gold medallist Leuris Pupo of Cuba finished 9th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption