Vijay Kumar finishes 8th in World Cup shooting
New Delhi: Olympic silver medallist Vijay Kumar finished eighth in the men`s 25-metre rapid fire pistol event at the shooting World Cup final in Bangkok on Friday.
Vijay started off well with series of 97, 99 and 97 to register a score of 292 in the first stage and was well in contention for a place in the finals.
In the second stage of the qualification round, Vijay once again registered very good scores of 97, 99 to look in great form but in the last series he dropped seven points and could only manage to shoot 93, which cost him a slot in the finals by two points.
Vijay`s final score today was 582, three points less than his London Olympic qualification score. This is the first international competition after Olympics for the 26-year-old shooter from the Indian Army.
The gold was won by Czech Martin Strand while the silver was won by Christian Reitz of Germany. China`s Jian Zhang got the bronze. London Olympic gold medallist Leuris Pupo of Cuba finished 9th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far