Vijender dropped from Boxing tournaments
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Olympian Vijender Singh has been dropped from tournaments in Cyprus and Cuba, Boxing Federation said on Saturday.
This is being seen as a consequence of Vijender missing the trial camp being held in Patiala.In an interview given to a leading news channel, the Vice President of Boxing Federation, Nivaran Mukherjee had said that trials are necessary for further selection and that he will not qualify if he does not join the trials.
"Vijender is not out of the team, but he will not participate in the tournaments in Cyprus and Cuba. For the time being we will not consider him," IABF President Abhishek Matoria said.
"He is an Olympic hero. It is upto him to decide which events he wants to take part. At the moment, his training has taken a blow because of the drug controversy," he said.
"I have been in constant touch with Vijender and he has assured me that he is not involved in the drug scandal. He has told me that he will come out clean from the enquiry," added Matoria.
"At the moment, Vijender is under severe pressure. He is hopeful of being given a clean chit in the next 10 days or so. And then he will get back to boxing. Vijender is very much an important part of Indian boxing fraternity," he said.
Vijender has extended his leave three times already through NIS authorities but his latest leave extension application for two weeks was forwarded to SAI.
Punjab Police had said on Friday that the Olympian has not been let off in the multi crore drug haul. The police also made it clear that a dope test conducted by NADA will not be accepted as it has no legal validity.
Vijender’s name had cropped up in a massive drug haul where the police had recovered 26 kg of heroin, estimated around Rs Rs 130 crore, from NRI Kahlon`s house in Shivalik Vihar in Zirakpur on March 7. A car belonging to Vijender`s wife Archana was found by the police near the NRI`s house.
Anoop Singh Kahlon, the NRI arrested in the drug haul, had confessed to have sold heroin to Vijender Singh and his sparring partner Ram Singh.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks