Vijender Singh, Nanao Singh in Indian team for World Championships
Patiala: Vijender Singh (75kg) made a return to the Indian boxing team along with Thokchom Nanao Singh (49kg) as the selectors picked the team for the World Championships after a two-day trial here on Wednesday.
There were hardly any surprises in the team, which will compete under the International Boxing Association`s banner due to India`s provisional suspension.
Also making a comeback in the squad was Nanao Singh, a former youth world champion and Asian Championships silver medallist. Nanao`s cause was helped by the fact that rising star L Devendro Singh was forced out of the trials due to a cut above the eye.
Laid low by injuries, Nanao defeated Commonwealth Games gold winner Amandeep Singh among others to secure his place.
In the 52kg division, former national champion Madan Lal of Haryana pipped the experienced Suranjoy Singh among others to grab the spot in the team. Suranjoy was ousted after losing his trial bout yesterday.
Asian Championships gold medallist Shiva Thapa expectedly grabbed the 56kg slot after coming out trumps in the trials.
Vikas Malik was picked for the lightweight 60kg division after some established names such as Jai Bhagwan, who is busy training for his job in the Haryana Police, missed the trials.
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Manoj Kumar was the obvious choice for the 64kg division as none of his competitors were able to match him.
Asian Championships silver medallist Mandeep Jangra also fought his way back into the team after he beat the likes of multiple-time national champion Dilbagh Singh. In 81kg, Olympian Sumit Sangwan dominated his bouts to lay claim to the national team spot.
Asian Games silver medallist Manpreet Singh wrested the 91kg slot after coming out trumps against Olympian Dinesh Kumar in a closely-contested bout today.
In the +91kg category, Satish was the choice for the selection panel headed by Indian Boxing Federation Secretary General Rajesh Bhandari.
The team picked today will now be sent to the Sports Ministry for its sanction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you