Vijender Singh took heroin 12 times: Punjab Police
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mohali: Boxer Vijender Singh is in for more trouble as the Punjab Police have reportedly collected “conclusive” evidence that proves he was keeping a regular contact with the alleged Canadian drug dealer Anoop Singh Kahlon.
"As per investigation conducted so far, Vijender Singh consumed the drug about 12 times and Ram Singh (his sparring partner) about five times," a Punjab Police statement said here.
The Punjab police spokesperson said, "it has been established that Boxers Ram Singh and Vijender Singh took heroin from Kahlon and his aide Rocky for personal consumption between December 2012 and February 2013."
The police statement further said, "However, they (Vijender and Ram Singh) did not actively connive with the smugglers in their activities and nothing was recovered from them - as such both of them are not being arrested in the case at this stage."
DIG (Ludhiana range) M F Farooqui said police have decided to file a plea in court seeking direction to get Vijender's blood and hair samples to confirm whether he used to consume the drug.
The investigators have call records dating back to August 2012 which reveal that Vijender and Kahlon were in contact with each other, according to a report in a leading Indian daily.
They even have pictures of them together while attending the inauguration of a hotel in Delhi.
The police are expected to seek court’s permission to collect Vijender’s blood and hair samples on Monday.
Earlier, the Olympian bronze medallist had refused to provide his samples saying he was willing to give them to anyone but Punjab police.
Police had recovered 26 kg of heroin, estimated around Rs Rs 130 crore, from Kahlon`s house in Shivalik Vihar in Zirakpur on the city outskirts in Mohali district on March 7. The car of Vijender`s wife Archana was found by police near the NRI`s house.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why