Vijender to debut in 81kg category in World C`ship next year
New Delhi: The London Olympics disappointment behind him, Indian boxing star Vijender Singh is all set to pack a heavier punch from next year when he goes up a division to light heavyweight (81kg) for the World Championships.
"There is nothing much this year. I will be participating in the World championship in the 81kg category," Vijender, who lost in the quarterfinals of the London Games, said.
The strapping six-footer had a hugely successful stint in the 75kg division, bagging his and the country`s first Olympic and World Championships boxing medal (a bronze in both events) in the category.
The 26-year-old, in fact, went on to become the world number one in 75kg after the World Championships medal in 2009.
Meanwhile, the Haryana-lad would give the Nationals a miss for the fifth year running. But he would be there on the sidelines of the tournament, scheduled in Hyderabad from October 30 to November 4, to catch the action live.
"No, I am not participating in the Nationals though I will certainly be going to watch bouts. I will be going there for the opening ceremony," he said.
Vijender was in the city to shoot for a campaign by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) against confinement of animals by circuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Hillary Clinton would be Democratic nominee: Feinstein
- Israel media: Police recommend indicting Netanyahu's wife
- Watch video: Giant Gorilla shot and killed to save 4-year-old child!
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco