Vikas enters final, Dinesh settles for bronze
London: World Championship bronze medallist Vikas Krishan stormed into the men`s 69kg category final while five-time world champion woman boxer M C Mary Kom made a shock quarterfinal exit in the Olympic boxing test event on Sunday.
Vikas carried his good form from the World Championships as he came up with a 9-6 victory over Azerbaijan`s Ismet Eynullayev in the semifinal bout of the London Boxing International Invitational event here.
With this win, the 19-year-old Indian welterweight boxer is assured of at least a silver medal.
The 2010 Asian Games gold medallist Indian, who bagged a bronze medal at the World Championships along with an Olympic quota, will lock horns with Qiong Maimaitituersun in the summit clash at the London Excel Centre. Qiong was a bronze medal winner at the 2010 Asian Games.
Another Indian, Asian Games silver medallist Dinesh Kumar (81kg) had to settle for a bronze medal after losing his semifinal bout on count back against Yamaguchi Florentino of Brazil, a silver medal winner at the 2011 Pan American Games.
Earlier in the day, the Indian camp experienced a major setback with Mary Kom losing to Argentine Pamela Paoloa Benavidez in women`s 51kg quarterfinals. Mary Kom was clearly not in her best form, but managed to be at par with Pamela after the first two rounds (6:6).
In the third round, Pamela squeezed a one point lead and increased the margin in the fourth. In the end, Mary Kom lost on points 9:13.
Pooja Rani, in women`s 75kg division, and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Amandeep Singh, in men`s 49kg, suffered a similar fate in their respective quarterfinal bouts. While Pooja lost to Dariga Shakimova of Kazakhstan (10:14), Amandeep suffered defeat at the hands of Birzhan Zhakypov, also of Kazakhstan (7:15).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump