Vikash Malik enters pre-quarters in Asian boxing
New Delhi: Reigning national champion Vikash Malik (60kg) powered through to the pre-quarterfinals of the Asian Boxing Championships in Amman, Jordan on Wednesday with a well earned victory over Nooristani Khaibar of Afghanistan.
However, bronze medal winner at the 2013 Korotkov Memorial tournament, Jagroop Singh`s (81kg) maiden appearance at the championship came to end with a loss in his opening-round bout.
Malik, also making his debut at the continental championships, put up an admirable performance with spurts of immense aggression to overpower the Afghan boxer.
Although Khaibar did not make things easy for Vikash, but the two-time national championship gold medallist was relentless in his attacks - a consistent volley of his three punch combo doing most of the damage.
He went on to secure his place in the round of 16 with a win on a split decision. He now takes on Olympian and reigning continental champion Yunusov Anvar of Tajikistan on Thursday.
In the light heavy weight division, Jagroop Singh lost to Boburbek Yuldashev of Uzbekistan. Singh, who hasn`t had much experience in the international arena, came up short against the superior technique of the Uzbek boxer and lost on a unanimous decision in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31