Vikash Malik enters pre-quarters in Asian boxing
New Delhi: Reigning national champion Vikash Malik (60kg) powered through to the pre-quarterfinals of the Asian Boxing Championships in Amman, Jordan on Wednesday with a well earned victory over Nooristani Khaibar of Afghanistan.
However, bronze medal winner at the 2013 Korotkov Memorial tournament, Jagroop Singh`s (81kg) maiden appearance at the championship came to end with a loss in his opening-round bout.
Malik, also making his debut at the continental championships, put up an admirable performance with spurts of immense aggression to overpower the Afghan boxer.
Although Khaibar did not make things easy for Vikash, but the two-time national championship gold medallist was relentless in his attacks - a consistent volley of his three punch combo doing most of the damage.
He went on to secure his place in the round of 16 with a win on a split decision. He now takes on Olympian and reigning continental champion Yunusov Anvar of Tajikistan on Thursday.
In the light heavy weight division, Jagroop Singh lost to Boburbek Yuldashev of Uzbekistan. Singh, who hasn`t had much experience in the international arena, came up short against the superior technique of the Uzbek boxer and lost on a unanimous decision in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users