Vishnu Prasanna out of contention after another loss
Albena (Bulgaria): India`s latest Grandmaster V Vishnu Prasanna faltered yet again as he lost to Vitaliy Bernadskiy to end hopes of a revival in the Grand Europe Albena International Chess tournament here.
After raising visions of an improved performance with a 4.5/5 start, Prasanna missed the thread of the position for the second day running and had to pay heavy dividends as Bernadskiy won in style.
The second straight loss left Prasanna on 4.5 points with no hopes for a podium finish.
International Master Ashwin Jayaram remained on course for a top-10 finish after settling for a quick draw with Grandmaster Vasil Spasov of Bulgaria.
Anurag Mahamal also secured a good result drawing with Sandro Mareco of Argentina who played black.
Among other Indians in the fray, former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta did some damage control in tournament after being lucky to score a full point against Bulgarian Mario Vutov.
Swapnil Dhopade was held to a draw by Dagur Arngrimsson of Iceland, while Sagar Shah ended on the losing side against Melih Yurtseven of Turkey. Lower down, N Raghavi defeated Ivaylo Atanasov of Bulgaria.
Following a spate of draws at the top of the tables there was no change in standings at the top. As a result, over joint leaders, Tigran Petrosian and Hrant Melkumyan of Armenia and Vladislav Nevednichy of Romania continued to lead the tables with six points out of a possible seven.
While six players are on the heels of the leaders a half point behind, Ashwin Jayaram and Anurag Mahamal are the best performing Indians on five points apiece sharing the 10th spot. Abhijeet Gupta, Dhoapde and Prasanna have 4.5 points each and only wins in the last two rounds can take them to some respectability.
Prasanna was outdone in a King`s Indian defense game with black pieces. The opening gave Bernadskiy a small positional advantage and Vihnu`s hopes of a king side attack after losing a pawn did not materialise. The Indian in fact fell prey to a tactical finish, something he had been showing in the first half of the tournament.
Abhijeet Gupta continued to struggle with his form as he misplayed another winning position and reached a drawn knight and pawns endgame against Mario Vutov. However, luck smiled on the Indian as Vutov blundered in the final stages and lost his knight for no compensation.
Important and Indian results round 7 (Indians unless stated): Hrant Melkumyan (Arm, 6) drew with Tigran Petrosian (Arm, 6); Levente Vajda (Rou, 5.5) drew with Vladislav Nevednichy (Rou, 6); Boris Chatalbashev (Bul, 5.5) drew with Mircea-Emilian Parligras (Rou, 5.5); Avetik Grigoryan (Arm, 5) drew with Ivaljo Enchev (Bul, 5); Vasil Spasov (Bul, 5) drew with Ashwin Jayaram (5); Sandro Mareco (Arg, 5) drew with Anurag Mhamal (5); Krikor Sevag Mekhitarian (Bra, 5.5) beat David Paravyan (Rus, 4.5): Evgeny Sveshnikov (Lat, 5.5) beat Roberto Junio Brito Molina (Bra, 4.5): Vitaliy Bernadskiy (Ukr, 5.5) beat V Vishnu Prasanna (4.5); Swapnil Dhopade (4.5) drew with Dagur Arngrimsson (Isl, 4.5); Mario Vutov (Bul, 3.5) lost to Abhijeet Gupta (4.5); Melih Yurtseven (Tur, 4.5) beat Sagar Shah (3.5); N Raghavi (2.5) beat Ivaylo Atanasov (Bul, 1.5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA