Vishwanath Anand to welcome QBR to Chennai
New Delhi: Four time world chess champion Vishwanathan Anand will be among the few sportpersons who will welcome the Queen`s Baton Relay for the XIX Commonwealth Games when it reaches Chennai on Friday.
Besides Anand, tennis legend Ramesh Krishnan, former Asian Games 800m gold medalist Shiny Wilson, squash ace Joshna Chinappa and former Indian hockey captain Md. Riaz will also participate in the relay.
Also to be seen with the baton, which makes its journey from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, will be hockey player Vijay Philips, Arjuna and Dronacharya Awardee G Sreedharan, athlete Gyaneshwaran and former champion swimmers Sebastian Xavier and Wilson Cherian.
The baton will travel to Puducherry on Saturday before touching Thanjavur, Rameshwaram, Madurai and Kanyakumari, then reaching Kerala on August 26 before coming back to Tamil Nadu to visit Wellington and Ootacamund before it heads for Karnataka on September 1.
The Chennai leg would mark the 56th day of the 100 day relay. The South India leg of the relay commenced last week in Hyderabad and travelled through Andhra Pradesh, touching Vishakapatnam, Vijaywada and Tirupati before moving on to Port Blair in the Andaman Islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened