Viswanathan Anand faces top seed Aronian in the opener in Candidates
Khanty Masiysk (Russia): Five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand will start his campaign against top seed Levon Aronian of Armenia in the first round of Candidates chess tournament.
After a first round with white against Aronian, the Indian will have two black games to negotiate against Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria and Shakhriyar Mamedyarov of Azerbaijan.
The eight-player super tournament will decide the next challenger for world champion Magnus Carlsen later in the year. The event will be played under Classical time control with 120 minutes for the first 40 moves and 60 minutes for the next 20.
If the game still continues the sudden death time control will come in to effect giving both players 15 minutes each with a 30 second increment from move 61.
For Anand, Aronian has posed some real challenges in the past and the five times world champion is expected to be cautious against the rating favourite. Post that two black games means Anand will get a good chance to get in to the groove before he takes on Russian opponents in the last four rounds of the first half.
This will be a test of time for Anand who has not been at his best since losing the world title to Magnus Carlsen in November last. In the London Classic rapid thereafter Anand was ousted in the quarterfinals while in the Zurich Chess Challenge recently the Indian could score just one win ? against Boris Gelfand of Israel ? out of five games that he played.
The worrying factor in Zurich was the fact that Anand was losing too many games. In Classical Chess, Anand started with two losses while in rapid he lost first three rounds.
According to the rules, the four Russian players in the eight-player tournament are supposed to finish matches among them first and the pairings have been decided in accordance with that.
As a result four Russians, Vladimir Kramnik, Dmitry Andreikin, Sergey Karjakin and Peter Svidler will play among themselves in the first three rounds of the first half as well as first three rounds of the second half of the 14-rounds tournament.
The other first round pairings are quite interesting. Andreikin will meet Kramnik and would like to avenge his defeat at the World Chess Cup finals. However, Kramnik has been out of Chess for almost three months mostly paying very deep attention to all his opponents here and it will be a worth watching contest.
Sergey Karjakin is pitted against seven-time Russian champion Svidler. The 37-year old Svidler looks in pink condition for this event and he is likely to give his best shot while in Khanty Mansiysk. For Karjakin, a first round victory could be vital for a start in such an event.
Shakhriyar Mamedyarov meets Topalov in the other match of the first round and given the intensity of chess these two play, its likely to be a nail-biter contest.
Pairings round 1: Dmitry Andreikin (Rus) v/s Vladimir Kramnik (Rus); Sergey Karjakin (Rus) v/s Peter Svidler (Rus); Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Aze) v/s Veselin Topalov (Bul); Viswanathan Anand (Ind) v/s Levon Aronian (Arm).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark