Viswanathan Anand happy that championship is finally on!
Chennai: After soaking in the pressure and being immersed in preparation for months, defending champion Viswanathan Anand on Saturday said he felt relieved that his World Championship match against Magnus Carlsen started today but his rival was not too pleased with first day`s proceedings.
"After thinking about it for months and months, today it finally started, it`s almost a relief," said the 43-year-old Anand in his opening statement after the first game which ended in a quick draw.
Playing black, Anand showed better preparation as Carlsen could not really take him to uncharted territory and the result was a draw in just 16 moves.
The 22-year-old Carlsen`s expressions summed up the game pretty quickly.
"I am not too thrilled with the game but of course I am happy to play, normally in these lines play develops quickly but here there was some crisis early and I had to pull the emergency breaks and take a draw," the Norwegian said in the post-match press conference.
When asked about the hype the match has created across the globe, Anand was quite candid, "I am quite happy that it has been covered well but to be honest I am more focused on the match."
Carlsen, who looked far more relaxed than the first conference on Thursday, agreed with the Indian but was quick to add, "I hope in the next few days we will give you more than one and a half hour."
Speaking about today`s game, Anand said he was satisfied with the draw.
"You can`t start reacting to every twist and turn, there will be many twist and turns, today went well for me, I was thinking of `b5` but I didn`t see anything," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'