WADA denies any approach from Armstrong over ‘drug-use’ confession
Sydney: The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has said it has had no approach from disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong to indicate he is ready to admit using performance-enhancing drugs.
WADA’s director general David Howman, who is holidaying in his native New Zealand, he has an open line should Armstrong wish to make contact, News.com.au reports.
The New York Times on Friday quoted anonymous sources as saying Armstrong, who has strongly denied the doping charges that led to him being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles, is considering admitting drug use, the paper said.
Howman made it clear that WADA hasn`t had any approach from Armstrong or his legal team, and added that he was surprised when he came to know about it.
Howman said he would be prepared to meet with Armstrong if the 41-year-old made contact. Armstrong has been banned for life from cycling and from competing in athletic events sanctioned by WADA or the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
Reports have suggested that Armstrong and his legal team might see a full confession as a first step towards eventually having his life ban overturned.
Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France victories and banned for life earlier this year after the United States Anti-Doping Authority released a 200-page report into his systematic cheating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends