WADA denies any approach from Armstrong over ‘drug-use’ confession

Last Updated: Sunday, January 6, 2013 - 15:26

Sydney: The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has said it has had no approach from disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong to indicate he is ready to admit using performance-enhancing drugs.

WADA’s director general David Howman, who is holidaying in his native New Zealand, he has an open line should Armstrong wish to make contact, News.com.au reports.

The New York Times on Friday quoted anonymous sources as saying Armstrong, who has strongly denied the doping charges that led to him being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles, is considering admitting drug use, the paper said.

Howman made it clear that WADA hasn`t had any approach from Armstrong or his legal team, and added that he was surprised when he came to know about it.

Howman said he would be prepared to meet with Armstrong if the 41-year-old made contact. Armstrong has been banned for life from cycling and from competing in athletic events sanctioned by WADA or the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

Reports have suggested that Armstrong and his legal team might see a full confession as a first step towards eventually having his life ban overturned.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France victories and banned for life earlier this year after the United States Anti-Doping Authority released a 200-page report into his systematic cheating.

ANI




comments powered by Disqus

Quotes

I`ve always said the person who wins the world championship this year is the person who does the best job on the circuit, but that does not seem the way it is at the moment.

Jenson Button