WADA team collects dope samples from weightlifters at NIS
New Delhi: Indian weightlifters were left surprised when a team of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) officials swooped down unannounced at the NIS Patiala a couple of days back to collect dope samples from 21 of them.
A team of doctors from Hungary visited the national weightlifting camp currently being held at the NIS for out-of-competition dope tests.
Indian Weightlifting Federation vice-president Sahdev Yadav told PTI that the WADA team took samples from 21 weightlifters, including a few junior campers. "A WADA team came at the NIS two days back and took samples from all the campers there, including a few junior lifters.
Except for the five trainees who were on leave at that day, all the lifters gave samples," he said.
Asked if the IWLF had any prior information of a WADA team coming, Yadav said,"It`s the not the first time WADA people have come to India for surprise dope testing. They can come anytime without telling us.
"So, it was an unannounced visit and nobody from the IWLF was there."
The surprise visit by the WADA assumes significance as the Commonwealth and Asian Games are coming up later in the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'
- Applications of Pak, India for NSG membership cannot be considered in isolation: Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment