Waiting for Saina in quarters: Sindhu
New Delhi: India`s P.V. Sindhu Thursday said she is waiting for top seed Saina Nehwal in the women`s singles quarterfinals after winning her second round match against China`s Sun Yu at the India Open Super Series here.
Sindhu Thursday won 19-21, 21-19, 21-15 while Saina will play her second round match later in the day at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
"Well I am waiting for Saina now. It is the first time I am going to play her. I think we are going to have a good match Friday. We have practiced together many times but playing in a tournament is a different thing. I will try to give my best against her," said Sindhu, who reached her career-best ranking of No.15 Thursday.
The 17-year-old was down and almost out in the second game (11-17) after losing the first, but managed to find a way past the tough Chinese.
"In the first game, I had a chance to level when Sun was at game point (20-19). I had an easy smash but I hit it out of the court. Otherwise if I could have levelled the match there and could have won in two games. I made many simple errors. In the second game, I was totally down but I gained points at a stretch which helped me come back into the match. In the end I am just happy I won the match," said the Hyderabadi.
The Chinese appeared to be wasting a lot of time between points during the match and regularly complained about the shuttle to the referee.
"Yes she was taking too much time between points and complaining too much to the umpire about the shuttle. Most of the times I refused to change the shuttle as there was no need. I think the umpire could have warned her. He told her several times that there was no problem with the shuttle," Sindhu signed off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore