Wanted to beat Taufik once before he retired: Kashyap
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Parupalli Kashyap`s desire to beat former Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat from Indonesia once again remained unfulfilled.
World No.7 Kashyap made a first round exit in the India Open Super Series going down to Hidayat 21-13, 21-23, 18-21 in the men`s singles at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here Wednesday.
Kashyap, however, will get another shot at the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier in June, that will be bring down the curtains on Hidayat`s illustrious international career.
"I just wanted to beat Taufik once before he retires. But it is okay. I played well and I am happy with my performance. At least I did not make any silly errors in the match. I tried avoiding playing at the net since he is so strong there but he kept bringing me back at the net and I had to take the shots," said Kashyap, who now has lost all seven of his matches against the legendary Indonesian.
Kashyap said there was no pressure on him despite having lost all the six encounters prior to the India Open.
"There was no pressure. I have played him six times before this match and I have seen his videos. I played according to plan but it just wasn`t one of those days. I was clearing well, thought I would make him play at the back but that did not happen. I came close to beating him but now what can I say," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video