Warriors beat Rhinos 4-2 to consolidate their position in HIL
Mohali: Jaypee Punjab Warriors defeated defending champions Ranchi Rhinos 4-2 in their penultimate league match to consolidate their second position in the Hero Hockey India League, here Sunday.
S V Sunil opened the scoring for Warriors in the 17th minute of the match with a field strike that beat Rhinos goalie Sushant Tirkey all ends up.
The hosts continued to control the proceedings in the second quarter but the Ranchi Rhinos restored parity through Amit Rohidas who converted his side`s first penalty corner in the 23rd minute.
The equalizer seemed to have pumped the Rhinos as they surged ahead in the 29th minute through Justin Reid Ross, who scored from the visitor`s second set piece.
The Warriors levelled the scores a minute before the half time when they were awarded a penalty stroke for Pradhan Somanna`s obstruction inside the circle, which was perfectly executed by captain Mark Knowles (34th minute).
The hosts earned their first penalty corner in the 49th minute but ace dragflicker Sandeep Singh`s flick was kept away by an alert Tirkey in Rhinos` goal.
Punjab Warriors secured two penalty corners in succession at the start of the fourth and final quarter but Jake Whetton`s first attempt was saved by Tirkey before Sandeep (55th minute) steeped forward to convert the next set piece.
Six minutes later, Australian Kieran Govers (61st minute) made the scoreline 4-2 by converting another penalty corner to seal the match in his side`s favour.
Punjab Warriors and the Rhinos will face each other once again in Ranchi on February 19 to round off their league campaign.
The win gave Jaypee Punjab Warriors five points and took their tally to 35 points from nine game.
Ranchi Rhinos suffered their fourth defeat in the tournament and continued to occupy the fourth position in the standings with 24 points from nine matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India