Wave Group buys Delhi franchise of Hockey India League
New Delhi: Hockey India (HI) said Monday the Wave Group has bought the Delhi franchise of the Hockey India League that would make its debut next year.
Hockey India (HI) secretary-general and league`s chairman Narinder Batra said the entry of Wave Group into Indian sports augured well for hockey.
"Over the past few weeks when we have been interacting with him, we have seen Ponty Chadha`s infectious enthusiasm. We believe that the Delhi franchise is in very good hands," he said.
"We are pleased that we are moving towards establishing Hockey India League as the world`s best hockey league. We have so far signed up with four major business groups - Sahara India for Lucknow, Jaypee Group for Punjab, Patel-Uniexcel Group for Ranchi and now Wave Group for Delhi. We are in advanced talks with business houses for the other two franchisees," he said.
Chadha said the group had been waiting for the right opportunity to be able to get into sports.
"I was born in Uttar Pradesh, which has been an incredible nursery for hockey from the legendary Dhyan Chand`s time. We are delighted to be able to associate ourselves with what promises to be dynamic league," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt