Wave Group buys Delhi franchise of Hockey India League
New Delhi: Hockey India (HI) said Monday the Wave Group has bought the Delhi franchise of the Hockey India League that would make its debut next year.
Hockey India (HI) secretary-general and league`s chairman Narinder Batra said the entry of Wave Group into Indian sports augured well for hockey.
"Over the past few weeks when we have been interacting with him, we have seen Ponty Chadha`s infectious enthusiasm. We believe that the Delhi franchise is in very good hands," he said.
"We are pleased that we are moving towards establishing Hockey India League as the world`s best hockey league. We have so far signed up with four major business groups - Sahara India for Lucknow, Jaypee Group for Punjab, Patel-Uniexcel Group for Ranchi and now Wave Group for Delhi. We are in advanced talks with business houses for the other two franchisees," he said.
Chadha said the group had been waiting for the right opportunity to be able to get into sports.
"I was born in Uttar Pradesh, which has been an incredible nursery for hockey from the legendary Dhyan Chand`s time. We are delighted to be able to associate ourselves with what promises to be dynamic league," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users