Wave Group buys Delhi franchise of Hockey India League
New Delhi: Hockey India (HI) said Monday the Wave Group has bought the Delhi franchise of the Hockey India League that would make its debut next year.
Hockey India (HI) secretary-general and league`s chairman Narinder Batra said the entry of Wave Group into Indian sports augured well for hockey.
"Over the past few weeks when we have been interacting with him, we have seen Ponty Chadha`s infectious enthusiasm. We believe that the Delhi franchise is in very good hands," he said.
"We are pleased that we are moving towards establishing Hockey India League as the world`s best hockey league. We have so far signed up with four major business groups - Sahara India for Lucknow, Jaypee Group for Punjab, Patel-Uniexcel Group for Ranchi and now Wave Group for Delhi. We are in advanced talks with business houses for the other two franchisees," he said.
Chadha said the group had been waiting for the right opportunity to be able to get into sports.
"I was born in Uttar Pradesh, which has been an incredible nursery for hockey from the legendary Dhyan Chand`s time. We are delighted to be able to associate ourselves with what promises to be dynamic league," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29