WB govt orders inquiry into land allotted to Pinki
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Monday ordered an inquiry into the land allotted to Asian Games gold medalist Pinki Pramanik, who recently walked out of jail after spending 26 days in custody on charges of rape.
"KMDA CEO Vivek Bharadwaj will inquire into the matter about how Pinki was allotted the land under Sports quota and if she had used that plot in commercial purpose," state`s Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim said here.
Sports Minister Madan Mitra said the department must find out those sports-persons who were deprived of land or similar such facilities during the previous Left Front government.
The land issue came up as the name of Avtar Singh, a promoter and husband of Jyotirmoyee Sikdar, one of the state`s celebrated athletes and former CPI(M) MP, was involved in the land allotted to Pinki.
The retired middle-distance runner, who was released from the Dum Dum Central Jail after a court gave her bail on July 10, was given three-cottah land off the E M Bypass by the erstwhile Left Front government.
Pinki was arrested on June 14 after she was accused of being a male by her live-in partner, a 30-year-old woman, who also alleged that she was raped by the athlete.
A PIL was moved in the Calcutta High Court on July 6 alleging inhuman torture on the athlete. The court has directed the West Bengal government to file an affidavit within two weeks on the progress of the investigation.
The West Bengal Human Rights Commission has also stepped in and directed the Home, Health and Police departments to inquire into the allegations of `torture` on Pinki in police and jail custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!