We are fine tuning and focussing on every little detail: Nobbs
New Delhi: With just 11 days left for the London Olympic qualifiers, Indian hockey coach Michael Nobbs is busy finetuning the minute aspects, which according to him should help the players avoid the mistakes that cost the team dearly in the recent past.
"The training is going on really well. There are no injury issues and we are now just finetuning. We are focusing on every little detail, every little thing that can cost us," Nobbs told reporters at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium on Tuesday.
While former India captain Dilip Tirkey, who is also a government appointed national selector, was seen working extensively with defenders for the past few days, Nobbs paid special attention to the drag-flickers during the training camp here on Tuesday.
"Dilip has joined the camp a few days back and he is taking care of the defensive line. We have brought him to finetune this area," he said.
"In the next 4-5 days we will complete the analysis of all the participating teams.
"Penalty corner is a very important aspect in modern day hockey. They can win or lose you a game. We are getting better and better in penalty corners. We have 3-4 best drag-flickers in our team," the Australian added.
The coach also warned his wards to guard against complacency in the qualifiers, in which India will be participating as a higher-ranked side.
The Indian men`s team will face Canada, Singapore, France, Italy and Poland in the event, to be held here from February 18-26.
"There will be no easy game because all the teams will be coming here hoping to qualify for the Olympics. We do have a better team but we cannot take any side lightly," Nobbs said.
Nobbs faced criticism from some quarters for leaving out senior players like Rajpal Singh and Arjun Halappa from the squad, but the Australian defended his decision.
"Everyone has been picked on form and fitness. The players we have selected are the best at present on form and fitness," he insisted.
"Both experience and youth are necessary in the team. I feel you need a blend of both."
India captain Bharat Chetri also said that Tirkey`s inputs will be of immense help for the defenders, who have the perennial habit of succumbing under pressure.
"Dilip is working hard with the defenders and his experience will be very handy. He is working on every aspect of defence," he said.
Star drag-flicker Sandeep Singh also agreed with his skipper.
"Defence is very important because of late we have conceded crucial goals under pressure. As a player Dilip has seen a lot and he is just sharing his experiences with us.
"He is helping us on how to stop counters and what to do in pressure situations," Sandeep said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks