We`ll treat the classification tie like any other game, says India coach
New Delhi: Out of the podium race in the Hero Junior Men`s Hockey World Cup, India have a chance to redeem some pride with a win over arch-rivals Pakistan in the 9-10th place classification match but national coach Baljit Singh Saini today refused to treat the high-profile fixture as a "special" encounter.
India rode on Ramandeep Singh`s two field goals and penalty corner conversions from Amit Rohidas and Gurjinder Singh to beat Argentina 4-2 at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here and set up a mouth-watering clash against Pakistan in the classification match on Saturday.
"India-Pakistan encounters may be special for spectators and media but not for us. We can`t treat it as a special match because if we do so there are chances of committing mistakes. We will take it as just another game," Saini told reporters.
"But I must admit pressure would be there on the boys before the match but once they take the field it is like just another game."
With a top eight finish out of sight, Saini said India will do its best to finish as high as possible in the 16-team competition.
"We had high expectations from this tournament but now we are playing for pride. We are definitely disappointed that we couldn`t finish in top eight. But the good thing to take from this tournament is that we lost only to one world class team so far," he said.
Saini was of the view that conceding soft goals early in the tournament crushed their medal hopes.
"In the pool stages we conceded goals in the first 10 minutes and that disturbed our game plan. The boys are young and they will learn with experience," he said.
Ramadeep, who finally rose to the occasion with two brilliant field goals against Argentina, is a doubtful starter against Pakistan after injuring his shoulder in the dying stages of the match today.
"We still don`t know the extent of Ramandeep`s injury. It seems he did not dislocate his shoulder but he is in immense pain. We can take a call on him only after assessing his medical reports," the coach added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’