We want clean weightlifters at global events: IWF
Berhampur (Orissa): Country`s weightlifters, who participated in international events, have come clean in several anti-doping tests, Indian Weightlifting Federation President claimed on Sunday.
"Not only we came clean, but International Weightlifting Federation, which slapped Rs 3-crore fine on India three years ago, is now praising our federation for its anti-doping measures," IWF President Birendra Prasad Baishya said here.
He said the weightlifters, who had undergone around 450 doping tests in international events including Commonwealth Games and Asian Games last year, had come clean.
"Our main aim is to produce clean weightlifters to participate in international events," he said.
Baishya`s remarks assumed significance as seven top track and field athletes were on Friday handed bans for flunking dope tests by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA).
Baishya, also a Rajya Sabha member from Assam and Vice President of the Commonwealth Weightlifting Federation, was here to attend the ongoing Senior National Weightlifting Championships.
He said Indian weightlifters still have chance to qualify for London Olympics last year.
"Our weightlifters have a bright chance to participate in the next year`s Olympic Games to be held in London," he said.
The qualifying test for the next Olympics will be held in South Korea in March, he added.
The IWF President said that the Indian weightlifters, including some of women lifters, had faired well in the international events in recent years.
"(So) watching their performances, we hope our weightlifters will qualify in the London Olympics," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing