WFI expels its former secretary Kartar Singh for 6 years
New Delhi: The Wrestling Federation of India today expelled its former secretary general Kartar Singh from the national body as well as its affiliated units for six years on charges of misconduct and indiscipline.
According to a statement issued by the WFI, the decision to expel the two-time Asian Games gold medallist was taken on the recommendation of the Disciplinary Committee headed by senior vice president I D Nanavati at the special meeting of the national federation`s general council here today.
"The misconduct of Kartar arose from his disobeying the orders of WFI and International Federation (FILA) regarding postponement of Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Wrestling Tournament 2012, corresponding directly with FILA and the Government of India by passing the WFI and holding a sham tournament in which neither any of the top 5 Indian wrestlers nor any wrestlers from other national federations participated," the WFI statement read.
"He obtained a huge sponsorship amount of over Rs 1 crore by mis-presenting facts and refused to submit the audited accounts to WFI. Kartar Singh was given many opportunities to explain his position and supply the necessary information but he refused to supply the same to the WFI or the Disciplinary Committee.
"The Disciplinary Committee came to the conclusion that the so-called Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Wrestling Tournament held in February 2012 was basically for his personal gain and not for promotion of wrestling. There was total lack of transparency and accountability in his conduct. The Disciplinary Committee unanimously recommended expulsion of Kartar Sigh for a period of 6 years," it said.
The statement added that the recommendation to expel Kartar was approved by the General Council of WFI through a unanimous decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000