WFI expels its former secretary Kartar Singh for 6 years
New Delhi: The Wrestling Federation of India expelled its former secretary general Kartar Singh from the national body as well as its affiliated units for six years on charges of misconduct and indiscipline on Tuesday.
According to a statement issued by the WFI, the decision to expel the two-time Asian Games gold medallist was taken on the recommendation of the Disciplinary Committee headed by senior vice president I D Nanavati at the special meeting of the national federation`s general council here on Tuesday.
"The misconduct of Kartar arose from his disobeying the orders of WFI and International Federation (FILA) regarding postponement of Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Wrestling Tournament 2012, corresponding directly with FILA and the Government of India by passing the WFI and holding a sham tournament in which neither any of the top 5 Indian wrestlers nor any wrestlers from other national federations participated," the WFI statement read.
"He obtained a huge sponsorship amount of over Rs 1 crore by mis-presenting facts and refused to submit the audited accounts to WFI. Kartar Singh was given many opportunities to explain his position and supply the necessary information but he refused to supply the same to the WFI or the Disciplinary Committee.
"The Disciplinary Committee came to the conclusion that the so-called Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Wrestling Tournament held in February 2012 was basically for his personal gain and not for promotion of wrestling. There was total lack of transparency and accountability in his conduct. The Disciplinary Committee unanimously recommended expulsion of Kartar Sigh for a period of 6 years," it said.
The statement added that the recommendation to expel Kartar was approved by the General Council of WFI through a unanimous decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says