Will make Indian sports transparent or resign: Ramachandran
Chennai: Recently-elected Indian Olympic Association President N Ramachandran has promised to make national federations more accountable and transparent in their functioning, saying that he would not hesitate to resign from his position if he fails to make a difference.
Ramachandran, whose election as President ended IOA`s international suspension last month, said his aim is to change the attitude of sports administrators towards the athletes.
"National sports federations and their state affiliates will have to understand that there has to be greater accountability and transparency in their functioning," Ramachandran said on the sidelines of a felicitation function here.
"As President of the country`s apex sports body, this is what I intend to do and will do. If I don`t, I will resign," the veteran, who is also the chief of World Squash Federation, said.
Laying out his vision for the IOA, Ramachandran said it is the athletes who are his priority.
"Sportspersons and not the Federations are the backbone of sport. Sports in India has changed and IOA has evolved. If it does not change with times, I will go away," he said.
"Athletes make the federations, for they strive, practice and train hard to be recognised. All Federations must realise this," he added.
Ramachandran said he would personally take interest in selection matters and ensure that processes in place are transparent.
"There would be more transparency in selection processes and I will monitor the athletes to ensure that they are treated well," he assured.
"Sports must change with time or it will degenerate. National federations have to abide by this especially in the matter of selection of athletes and teams for both domestic and international events," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'