Woman boxer in coma after being hit by male pugilist
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mumbai: Manisha Chauhan, a 20-year-old female boxer from Mumbai is in coma at Nair Hospital after she suffered brain haemorrhage while practising with a male partner at Sai International Sports Club in Samta Nagar.
Police have registered a case of negligence against a Sports Authority of India-approved junior level coach and a senior boxer.
Manisha, a second year B.Com student of Thakur College in Kandivali, collapsed in the ring after being hit on the head by her male training partner on October 2.
As per reports, her coach Jaswant Singh wasn`t present during the session and his wife was supervising the training in place of him.
The national-level boxer wasn’t wearing any headgear while practising and is now currently undergoing treatment at Nair Hospital.
"Chauhan was not wearing headgear and she collapsed after the boxer, Noor, dealt a blow to her head," said a police officer.
“We have registered a case under IPC sections 338 (causing grievous hurt by an act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 34 (common intent),” senior inspector N Kamble was quoted as saying by the Indian Express.
However, Jaswant has denied any wrongdoing on his part.
Female boxers practicing with men isn’t an unconventional method but they are required to wear a protective headgear before stepping into the ring.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India